|Published:||Mar 13, 2013 11:44 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Mar 13, 2013 11:55 PM EDT|
NAPLES, Fla.- Argentinians across the country are celebrating the election of the new pope, including those in southwest Florida.
Fabian Marin, a catholic from Argentina, works as the bar manager at Alberto's on Fifth Avenue in Naples. Marin says he remembers Cardinal Bergoglio from when he was a kid and is thrilled an Argentinian was chosen.
"We think there is something great that can happen to the country and for the people right now because Argentina has gone through a lot of political issues right now, I think this is something great that can happen."
In Argentina, Pope Francis was known for his humble nature who dedicated his life to helping the poor. He considers social outreach, rather than doctrinal battles, to be the essential business of the church.
- Fire Dept: Barricaded man couldn't have survived fire
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- Southbound I-75 reopens after rollover crash near Colonial
- Crews battle brush fire near Island Park
- Report: mother at fault in fatal Alligator Alley crash
- Fire shuts down Jersey's Sports Cafe
- SWFL soldier surprises kids live on WINK News
- IRS hits Miccosukee tribe with $170M tax bill
- Police say school nurse's blood alcohol level was .275
- Invalid DL leads to Port Charlotte drug arrest