|Published:||Mar 12, 2013 10:40 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Mar 12, 2013 10:40 AM EDT|
KEY LARGO, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a 2-year-old boy somehow got out of his Key Largo house in the middle of the night and was struck and killed by a vehicle heading south in the Florida Keys.
The Monroe County Sheriff's Office got a call from the boy's parents early Tuesday. They said their son was missing and they had been searching for him for about 30 minutes after realizing he wasn't inside the house.
Deputies, Florida Highway Patrol troopers and some border protection officers who were in the area joined in the search. About 20 minutes later, the child's body was found in the median of U.S. 1.
A deputy stopped a car whose driver says he may have struck something at the 99 mile marker.
FHP and the sheriff's office are investigating.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Suspects in San Carlos Park home invasion caught
- How you can help tornado victims in Oklahoma
- Charlotte detectives look for suspect in credit card fraud
- Judge steps down in Watlington vs. McGregor Baptist case
- FBI involved in fatal shooting near Universal Orlando
- SOLD: Lee County school buildings
- $60K approved for Lee school district convention
- New Florida voting law
- Festival of Dance to feature many genres this weekend
- Senate committee approves immigration bill