|Published:||Mar 12, 2013 5:21 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Mar 12, 2013 11:32 PM EDT|
COLLIER COUNTY, Fla - The Collier County Sheriff's Office has indentified the body as a white man in his 50's, but a spokeswoman with the Collier County Sheriff's Office says because of the condition the body was found in, it could take the medical examiner some time to positively identify the man.
The spokeswoman says CCSO is conducting a death investigation, but it does not appear to be suspicious at this time.
The man was found just before 4:00 p.m. Tuesday by two off duty Golden Gate firefighters. The two were kayaking and paddleboarding about a quarter of a mile from the Goodland Bridge when they saw the body face down in the water.
The Collier County Marine Unit, Crime Scene unit and Medical Examiner responded to the scene.
Brian McLaren says he kayaks just off of Goodland on a regular basis and was shocked to see the marine boats wiz by. "You don't expect to see flashing lights and speeding boats back in the backwater like that so when something like that happens you know something's up," says McLaren. "It's a beautiful natural setting around here. You usually expect to see birds and fish and dolphins and to think something terrible happened its heartbreaking."
COLLIER COUNTY, Fla.- The Collier County Sheriff's Office is investigating a body found near the Goodland Bridge.
A Marine Unit was sent to investigate an initial report of a body found by two off-duty firefighters, who said they discovered it while kayaking. The report have since been confirmed.
The area will be treated as a crime scene.
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Elderly Naples man accused of molesting special needs teen
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- Mother accused of doing 'whippets' while baby was present
- 'Magic' Johnson to speak at Quality Life Center fundraiser
- UNF golfer killed in small plane crash
- 3 Miami-Dade officers shot, 2 suspects killed
- 3 arrested in stolen exam scheme at FIU
- Lee County school board votes to make school day longer
- Family surprises neighbors with 'Random Acts of Kindness'