|Published:||Mar 08, 2013 10:37 AM EST|
|Updated:||Mar 08, 2013 10:37 AM EST|
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a man was fatally shot by Jacksonville SWAT officers who had been trying to help him after his truck crashed while ramming another car off the road.
The incident turned deadly as the man went for his gun after initially cooperating with the three officers Thursday afternoon. Police Chief Tom Hackney says officer Jared Reston shot the man, who died at the scene.
The Florida Times-Union (http://bit.ly/12zmb4i ) reports the officers were returning from training when they saw a truck ram another car. The truck then flipped over.
A woman in the car approached the officer, saying the man was her ex-husband. The officers were assisting him when he suddenly reached for his gun.
The officer is on administrative leave while the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office reviews the shooting.
Information from: The (Jacksonville) Florida Times-Union, http://www.jacksonville.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- LCSO: Hohensee died from self-inflicted gun shot wound
- Vehicles flee the scene after seriously injuring pedestrian
- A look at the dangers of riding a motorcycle
- CCSO searches for missing 23 y/o Golden Gate woman
- Floridians pay the price for illegal Curbstoning
- Charlotte County does away with PE class
- 12 sentenced in South Florida grow house operation
- Three bears spotted in North Naples community
- Man answers the door & gets beat with a tire iron