|Published:||Mar 08, 2013 10:37 AM EST|
|Updated:||Mar 08, 2013 10:37 AM EST|
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a man was fatally shot by Jacksonville SWAT officers who had been trying to help him after his truck crashed while ramming another car off the road.
The incident turned deadly as the man went for his gun after initially cooperating with the three officers Thursday afternoon. Police Chief Tom Hackney says officer Jared Reston shot the man, who died at the scene.
The Florida Times-Union (http://bit.ly/12zmb4i ) reports the officers were returning from training when they saw a truck ram another car. The truck then flipped over.
A woman in the car approached the officer, saying the man was her ex-husband. The officers were assisting him when he suddenly reached for his gun.
The officer is on administrative leave while the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office reviews the shooting.
Information from: The (Jacksonville) Florida Times-Union, http://www.jacksonville.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Family hospitalized after eating meat with LSD
- Cape police arrest 2nd suspect in child neglect case
- Man accused of killing dog with pickaxe appears in court
- Man posts Facebook video of himself jumping on manatees
- CCSO: Woman uses stolen credit card to buy TV
- Cape woman at center of life support controversy passes away
- Fmr Cape resident accused of attempted sex trafficking
- Music Man Redux - Teacher needs instruments for good cause
- Woman, 97, hit by trooper dies of injuries
- Car drives into hole in Cape Coral