|Published:||Mar 08, 2013 10:37 AM EST|
|Updated:||Mar 08, 2013 10:37 AM EST|
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a man was fatally shot by Jacksonville SWAT officers who had been trying to help him after his truck crashed while ramming another car off the road.
The incident turned deadly as the man went for his gun after initially cooperating with the three officers Thursday afternoon. Police Chief Tom Hackney says officer Jared Reston shot the man, who died at the scene.
The Florida Times-Union (http://bit.ly/12zmb4i ) reports the officers were returning from training when they saw a truck ram another car. The truck then flipped over.
A woman in the car approached the officer, saying the man was her ex-husband. The officers were assisting him when he suddenly reached for his gun.
The officer is on administrative leave while the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office reviews the shooting.
Information from: The (Jacksonville) Florida Times-Union, http://www.jacksonville.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Motorcyclist injured after crash on Nelson at Tropicana
- Pilot whales change course, move closer to shore
- 2 die in South Florida motorcycle crash
- Cape Fire Station 2 closes for repairs due to mold
- SWFL gathering Saturday to support elderly smack cam victim
- An iconic ship gets a chance to set sail on a new voyage
- Post Office offers help on Sundays
- Man catches dog thief in the act
- Ft. Myers woman reflects on Mandela, growing up in S. Africa
- Edcational app making the grade in Lee County Schools