|Published:||Mar 08, 2013 12:31 PM EST|
|Updated:||Mar 08, 2013 12:31 PM EST|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- A former bank teller has been sentenced after she was caught stealing more than $107,000 during the eight month period of January 2011 through August 2011.
Sarah Stone has been adjudicated guilty and sentenced to 90 days in the Lee County Jail followed by two years Community Control and then 13 months State Probation. Stone has also been ordered to pay restitution in the amount of $106,000.
The 29-year-old had fled the area and eluded capture following the issuance of a warrant for Grand Theft over $100,000 and Scheme to Defraud.
Stone was the head teller at First Community Bank, located 5200 Daniels Parkway. She became the subject of an extensive investigation after auditors discovered her teller drawer was short by at least $2,000 on August 30, 2011. During the audit, Stone excused herself to use the restroom, but actually left the bank and fled from the scene.
An extensive audit of bank transactions revealed she was not processing general ledger entries. In order to commit the thefts, Stone maintained two sets of books in an attempt to keep her scheme from being discovered.
In addition to her thefts from the bank, the investigation revealed Stone stole $4,100 from three customers by altering checks being cashed and keeping the additional funds for herself. It was also discovered Stone had a personal account with Suncoast Schools Credit Union that suffered a loss through Stone’s practice of over-drafting her account by writing checks to herself or “cash” at First Community Bank.
A warrant was issued for the arrest of Stone after the discovery of more than $86,000 in missing funds. Further investigation revealed the amount to be much higher and that Stone had actually stolen $107,000.
Stone was located and arrested on Tuesday, October 9th at her residence at 655 George Bush Boulevard, Delray Beach in Palm Beach County.
- Defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- LCSO: Hohensee died from self-inflicted gun shot wound
- Vehicles flee the scene after seriously injuring pedestrian
- A look at the dangers of riding a motorcycle
- CCSO searches for missing 23 y/o Golden Gate woman
- Man finds drugs in a safe in front of his Pt. Charlotte home
- Crash with injuries on Veterans at Chiquita blocks traffic
- Floridians pay the price for illegal Curbstoning
- Charlotte County does away with PE class
- Fla. sailor charged in 2010 death of 2-year-old