|Published:||Mar 07, 2013 12:56 PM EST|
|Updated:||Mar 07, 2013 4:54 PM EST|
PUNTA GORDA, Fla.- The Punta Gorda Police and Fire Departments responded to a home on the 300 block of Sorrento Court for the report of a fire. The Punta Gorda Fire Department entered and subsequently located an elderly couple deceased.
While on scene, Fire Chief Ray Briggs noted that there were no working smoke alarms in the home.
Chief Briggs stated, “The Punta Gorda Fire Department has comprehensive fire prevention programs. If anyone of our residential customers is without a smoke alarm, we will be glad to install one for them, free of charge.”
Residents without smoke alarms are encouraged to contact the Punta Gorda Fire Department at (941) 575-5529.
Punta Gorda Police Detectives are investigating the deaths in cooperation with the State Fire Marshal’s Office and the Charlotte County Medical Examiner’s Office.
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Boil water notice in effect after N. Ft. Myers main break
- School bus catches fire in Lehigh Acres
- No charges in Jameis Winston sex assault case
- Kohl's keeps doors open 'round the clock until Christmas Eve
- Officials: At least 20 whales in deeper water
- Miami man allegedly hid drugs in truck's door panel
- Oma's Heart to give out last vouchers for holiday toys
- EXCLUSIVE: Watlington family looking ahead, but still grieve
- JetBlue Airways opens flight route to Haiti