|Published:||Mar 05, 2013 11:18 AM EST|
|Updated:||Mar 05, 2013 11:33 AM EST|
BIG PINE KEY, Fla. (AP) - Wildlife officials say a guest at the Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge found a pelican and a herring gull with Busch Light beer cans around their necks like collars.
The Miami Herald (http://hrld.us/14nYo2p ) reports the guest used a Swiss Army knife to cut the ends of the cans on Monday, then called the Florida Keys Wildlife Rescue.
The group's director Maya Totman calls the incident "sickening."
Vogel told authorities the gull's head appeared to have been forced through the can. But the beer can was modified to fit around the pelican's neck.
Totman says it probably took two people to pull off this act. She says the gull was gasping for breath when Vogel found it.
Both birds are recovering at the center. But Totman says people are "really upset."
Information from: The Miami Herald, http://www.herald.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
(Photo courtesy Maya Totman / Florida Keys Wildlife Rescue)
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Update: Cape Coral kid hit by car doing 'a lot better'
- Suspect in custody after Orlando-area school shooting
- Sheriff: Fla. man kills wife, son with crossbow
- Gifts, volunteers needed for adopt-a-senior holiday program
- 'Hazmat situation' determined not suspicious
- Support for smack cam victim grows, victim responds
- Pt. Charlotte street closed due to roadway collapse
- Water main break blocks Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41
- Grinch steals Christmas trees from Lemon Bay students