ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) - Police say a St. Petersburg maintenance worker was severely injured while cleaning out a city garbage truck.
Police spokesman Mike Puetz says the truck's driver closed the vehicle's rear hydraulic door without realizing that the worker was still standing by the door.
Puetz says the door closed on the worker's upper body, causing severe trauma.
The worker was hospitalized Monday morning with life-threatening injuries.
Puetz says the accident is under investigation and the truck has been removed from the scene.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Second Lee County bank robbed, suspects in custody
- Fatal crash on Golden Gate Parkway
- Florida is #2 for internet crime complaints
- Deputies: 86-year-old Fla. mom shoots, kills son
- Fla. man trapped in car, dies from complications
- Heroes rescue disabled Fla. vet from pond
- SWFL man's dream vacation turns into nightmare