|Published:||Feb 28, 2013 10:59 AM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 28, 2013 10:59 AM EST|
PENSACOLA, Fla. (AP) - A Pensacola judge sentenced a woman to 300 days in jail after she was convicted of animal cruelty for duct-taping her dog's injured eye.
The Pensacola News Journal (http://on.pnj.com/Y27sX0 ) reports 46-year-old Mechele Potter also must pay fines and court costs.
Authorities say Potter called animal control Sept. 18 to report a stray dog in her yard with duct tape on its head. Investigators later learned the dog belonged to Potter, who had placed duct tape over its injured eye but didn't seek medical attention.
Animal control workers removed the tape and found the dog's eye was red, swollen and protruding from its socket. The dog's eye had to be removed.
Officials say the cause of the injury is unknown, but it was made worse by Potter's failure to seek help.
Information from: Pensacola (Fla.) News Journal, http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Lottery sales suspended at stores raided for illegal drugs
- Man accused of leaving baby in car no stranger to law
- Realtors and police warn of rental fraud hitting SWFL
- Winter weather delays flights in and out of RSW
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- Girlfriend wants charges dropped against Zimmerman
- 3 arrested in stolen exam scheme at FIU
- Miami-Dade Police officer shot, hospitalized
- UNF golfer killed in small plane crash
- Beach renourishment winding down in Naples