|Published:||Feb 28, 2013 11:51 AM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 28, 2013 11:51 AM EST|
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Florida will start selling tickets to the popular Mega Millions game later this year.
Florida Lottery officials told The Associated Press on Thursday that the state will join 42 other states in selling tickets. Tickets will go on sale on May 15.
The state already sells tickets to Powerball, another multistate game. It also has its own game called Florida Lotto.
Lottery Secretary Cynthia O'Connell said that retailers and lottery players have been asking the state to join Mega Millions for years.
Lottery officials contend that adding Mega Millions will generate additional money for the state even though in the past there have been fears that adding additional games would erode sales of existing games.
Last summer the Florida Lottery wrapped up the most financially successful year in its history.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- LCSO: Hohensee died from self-inflicted gun shot wound
- Vehicles flee the scene after seriously injuring pedestrian
- A look at the dangers of riding a motorcycle
- CCSO searches for missing 23 y/o Golden Gate woman
- Floridians pay the price for illegal Curbstoning
- Charlotte County does away with PE class
- 12 sentenced in South Florida grow house operation
- Three bears spotted in North Naples community
- Man answers the door & gets beat with a tire iron