|Published:||Feb 28, 2013 11:38 AM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 28, 2013 5:49 PM EST|
FORT MYERS, Fla.- Fort Myers Police are conducting a traffic homicide investigation due to the death of an unborn baby.
Just before 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, the police responded to a crash involving an ambulance and an SUV at the intersection of Veronica Shoemaker Boulevard and Canal Street. Witnesses say the driver of the ambulance ran a stop sign at the intersection and the two collided.
FMPD says 26-year-old Kristina Childs was driving the SUV. She had a 3-year-old, a 5-year-old and a 17-year-old in the car with her. The ambulance was driven by 30-year-old Harris Berenson. Another paramedic in the ambulance has been identified as Shawn Robinson.
Two paramedics in the ambulance were transporting a patient to Gulf Coast Hospital, but witnesses say the emergency equipment was not activated. All four people in the SUV were transported to Lee Memorial Hospital. The paramedic driving the ambulance and the patient being transported were also taken to the hospital. All had serious injuries.
The crash is still under investigation.
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Officials: 35 pilot whales moving in deeper water
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story
- EXCLUSIVE: LeeTran driver speaks after possible bus shooting
- Owner tracks stolen boat to Mexico
- E-911 System Out in Charlotte County
- Sports making their way back to Edison State College
- Toy drive sign ups end Friday for Collier Salvation Army
- Postal Service letter carriers collect toys this Saturday