|Published:||Feb 28, 2013 11:38 AM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 28, 2013 5:49 PM EST|
FORT MYERS, Fla.- Fort Myers Police are conducting a traffic homicide investigation due to the death of an unborn baby.
Just before 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, the police responded to a crash involving an ambulance and an SUV at the intersection of Veronica Shoemaker Boulevard and Canal Street. Witnesses say the driver of the ambulance ran a stop sign at the intersection and the two collided.
FMPD says 26-year-old Kristina Childs was driving the SUV. She had a 3-year-old, a 5-year-old and a 17-year-old in the car with her. The ambulance was driven by 30-year-old Harris Berenson. Another paramedic in the ambulance has been identified as Shawn Robinson.
Two paramedics in the ambulance were transporting a patient to Gulf Coast Hospital, but witnesses say the emergency equipment was not activated. All four people in the SUV were transported to Lee Memorial Hospital. The paramedic driving the ambulance and the patient being transported were also taken to the hospital. All had serious injuries.
The crash is still under investigation.
- Hostage situation ends in house fire, man found dead inside
- Defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Ft. Myers man dies in New Jersey crash, wife critically hurt
- Vehicles flee the scene after seriously injuring pedestrian
- FWC relocates largest black bear captured in Fla.
- LCSO: Hohensee died from self-inflicted gun shot wound
- CCSO searches for missing 23 y/o Golden Gate woman
- A look at the dangers of riding a motorcycle
- Man finds drugs in a safe in front of his Pt. Charlotte home
- Crash with injuries on Veterans at Chiquita blocks traffic