|Published:||Feb 27, 2013 3:27 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 27, 2013 3:27 PM EST|
LARGO, Fla. (AP) - Largo police say a man walked into the lobby of an office, pulled a gun from his waistband and fired several rounds into windows and doors before shooting himself in the stomach.
Police say they don't think 52-year-old Fred Michael Sumner aimed any of his shots Wednesday at people in the building. Witnesses told officers that he aimed at lobby doors and windows. He then shot himself in what police characterized as an attempted suicide.
Sumner was hospitalized but his condition wasn't immediately available. He has been charged with criminal mischief and shooting within an occupied building.
Police said he was distraught over an alleged affair that his wife was having and that she worked in the building. No one else was injured.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- Teacher accused of relationship with 18 y/o student resigns
- CCSO: Man threatens to shoot deputy during domestic dispute
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- Judge approves Cape Coral fire assessment
- Salvation Army receives another 'Mimi coin' donation
- 1 suspect in Miami-Dade police manhunt identified
- Ida Baker assistant principal put on leave
- Police chief resigns in troubled Fla. city