COLLIER COUNTY, Fla.- Two Collier County fire districts have taken a major step forward towards consolidation.
East Naples and Golden Gate Fire Districts both officially signed a "letter of intent" Tuesday night. This means they are ready to join administrative and operational services.
Commissioners say this will allow both districts to run in a more effective and cost efficient manner. "It's important for us to do as much as we can, as well as we can, so that the people have confidence enough to vote for it when the time comes," said Golden Gate Fire Commissioner David Stedman.
Commissioners say having one chief run the two districts will save taxpayers approximately $400,000 a year.
Ultimately, it will be up to the voters to approve the consolidation in a referendum.
- $590M-plus Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- 20-year-old girl dies in Cape Coral scooter crash
- Bikers participate in Collier County 'Freedom Ride'
- Standing room only at 2013 Hurricane Expo
- Body of autistic boy vacationing in Fla. is found
- Fla. Gov. will veto 3 percent college tuition hike
- Fla. gov. steps up pace on signing death warrants
- Friends Mourn Friend Killed in Motor Scooter Crash
- Hundreds of bikers honor military with Freedom Ride 2013
- Click it or Ticket campaign begins May 20th