|Published:||Feb 26, 2013 3:54 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 26, 2013 5:40 PM EST|
COLLIER COUNTY, Fla.- Bears have been spotted in the neighborhood. The woman who lives here said she was sound asleep when a bear, with its sights set on her garbage can, tore into her home through the screened lanai.
Lois Martin said the bear banged its way into her home early Tuesday morning. She has difficulty moving around so she keeps her garbage right outside her front door. Last night, she tossed some chicken wings out and she thinks that smell lured the bear to her home. Neuighbors say there were wo, but one destroyed her house. Martin is 90 years old and says at her age, she doesn't want to be bothered by bears, especially since she lives alone.
FWC was in the neighborhood last week. A biologist spoke to residents about ways to keep bears away. One of their suggestions was freezing chicken wings before throwing them out. Something Martin said she's going to do from now on.
"I'm very afraid of them," said Martin. "I never thought bears would get in the park here but they are in, other people have seen them and I didn't see any. Well now I don't have to see them, they came without an invitation."
- Deputies find body at scene of Pt. Charlotte house fire
- FMPD arrests women caught on camera stealing lotto tickets
- Woman faces DUI charges after crash involving 6 children
- 4 Collier Co. children involved in 2 near drowning incidents
- Chrysler agrees to recall of Jeeps at risk of fire
- Top choice drops out of consideration for Lee Co. Manager
- DCF investigates Cape Coral infant's death
- Twins minor league team involved in Fla. crash
- Storage unit swiper targets Cape Coral facility
- LDAS seeks information regarding 2nd recent cat shooting