|Published:||Feb 26, 2013 3:54 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 26, 2013 5:40 PM EST|
COLLIER COUNTY, Fla.- Bears have been spotted in the neighborhood. The woman who lives here said she was sound asleep when a bear, with its sights set on her garbage can, tore into her home through the screened lanai.
Lois Martin said the bear banged its way into her home early Tuesday morning. She has difficulty moving around so she keeps her garbage right outside her front door. Last night, she tossed some chicken wings out and she thinks that smell lured the bear to her home. Neuighbors say there were wo, but one destroyed her house. Martin is 90 years old and says at her age, she doesn't want to be bothered by bears, especially since she lives alone.
FWC was in the neighborhood last week. A biologist spoke to residents about ways to keep bears away. One of their suggestions was freezing chicken wings before throwing them out. Something Martin said she's going to do from now on.
"I'm very afraid of them," said Martin. "I never thought bears would get in the park here but they are in, other people have seen them and I didn't see any. Well now I don't have to see them, they came without an invitation."
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Boil water notice in effect after N. Ft. Myers main break
- School bus catches fire in Lehigh Acres
- Cape city workers find small mobile meth lab in the woods
- Attorney: Winston relieved no charges in sex case
- Kohl's keeps doors open 'round the clock until Christmas Eve
- Officials: At least 20 whales in deeper water
- Miami man allegedly hid drugs in truck's door panel
- Oma's Heart to give out last vouchers for holiday toys
- JetBlue Airways opens flight route to Haiti