|Published:||Feb 25, 2013 1:31 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 25, 2013 6:01 PM EST|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- Only WINK news cameras were there as a Lee County hotel was evacuated for a gas leak. Two people were transported from the scene for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The leak forced dozens of guests to wait outside Crestwood Suites, off US 41, north of Gladiolous.
A spokeswoman says it started from a leak from a hot water heater. A valve was sealed shut, and carbon monoxide started seeping into the building.
Only WINK was there when people with lawn chairs and plenty of questions gathered outside Crestwood Suites.
A South Trail Fire and Rescue spokeswoman says the call came in close to 1pm, that people were feeling flu-like symptoms: telltail signs of carbon monoxide poisioning. "We came and checked and indeed the levels were high."
One couple says their friends Ted and Olga Sallade are in the hospital. The couple their friends started to feel ill this morning, and thought it was food poisoning.
"They just stayed in their room, they felt bad, then we called them every half hour, try to check find out what's going on and eventually they said they are in the hospital," said friend George Kelbatyrov.
Firefighters even rescued a cat from inside someone's room.
"We were having lunch and we saw the fire truck and the fire alarm rang and we got right out," said guest Jack Johnson.
It is safe to go back inside. Crews are working to turn the water back on.
- FGCU one win away from NCAA Tournament appearance
- Man accused of killing dog with pickaxe appears in court
- Search continues for missing spring breaker
- Cape police arrest 2nd suspect in child neglect case
- Cape woman at center of life support controversy passes away
- Man posts Facebook video of himself jumping on manatees
- Fla. teen shot by grandfather during argument
- Suspected police impersonator was fed agent
- Woman, 97, hit by trooper dies of injuries
- Cape Coral firefighters investigate trash compactor fire