|Published:||Feb 25, 2013 6:02 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 25, 2013 6:56 PM EST|
PUNTA GORDA, Fla. - A national payroll company with local ties is under investigation. Agents raided 'Service Provider Group's' corporate office in Knoxville, Tennessee last week.
The company has an office in Punta Gorda that handles payroll and benefits for hundreds of businesses in Charlotte County.
FBI agents loaded up boxes and boxes of documents from the Service Provider Group corporate office in Knoxville, Tennessee.
"I think everybody was really shocked and surprised to see what was going on and happening in the building where we work," a witness says.
While it's states away, the investigation there is impacting the Punta Gorda office on West Marion Avenue.
Employees tell WINK News they handle payroll and benefits for hundreds of companies in Charlotte County. While none of those services has been interrupted, employees say some concerned clients have already cancelled their partnership.
Chris Wilson passes out paychecks for the Punta Gorda Club's employees. They've used the Service Provider Group for years and he says news of the investigation shocked him.
"They've always been very forthcoming with information with billing, you know if there was a payroll date that was going to be impacted because of a holiday there was always emails going out and I could always get somebody on the phone," he says.
An employee with another company that does business with service provider group told WINK News off camera that a handful of top executives were let go.
Employees at the Punta Gorda office say they don't have any details about the investigation or what kinds of documents were taken out.
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Boil water notice in effect after N. Ft. Myers main break
- Cape city workers find small mobile meth lab in the woods
- School bus catches fire in Lehigh Acres
- Attorney: Winston relieved no charges in sex case
- Kohl's keeps doors open 'round the clock until Christmas Eve
- Officials: At least 20 whales in deeper water
- Miami man allegedly hid drugs in truck's door panel
- Oma's Heart to give out last vouchers for holiday toys
- JetBlue Airways opens flight route to Haiti