Published: Feb 22, 2013 4:00 PM EST
Updated: Feb 22, 2013 5:24 PM EST

SANIBEL, Fla.- Several fire departments responded to a fire on Bunting Lane that started around 3:30 a.m. The home was fully engulfed in flames at the time of their arrival.

The residents were able to escape unharmed, thanks to a smoke detector waking them.

The fire marshal has ruled the fire accidental, believing it was possibly started by a grill on the back porch. The family was grilling Thursday night.

The residents were long-time Sanibel city employee, Bert Smith, Director of Management & Information Systems, and his son Nick, a student at Fort Myers High School.

Assistance for the family is being coordinated between the City and F.I.S.H. Citizens wishing to provide assistance to the Smith family can make a donation to the City of Sanibel Employee Assistance Fund (Smith Fire) to F.I.S.H., 1630-B Periwinkle Way, Sanibel, FL 33957, (239) 472-4775. 

(Photo of flames courtesy of Beverly Hensen)