CALLAWAY, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a 3-year-old Florida Panhandle boy found a .38-caliber handgun under the mattress in his parents' bedroom and shot a family friend in the forehead.
The shooting happened Tuesday in Callaway. The News Herald of Panama City (http://bit.ly/Vvmw2v ) reports 18-year-old Emily Allen told deputies she was lying on the bed when she heard a "loud bang." That's when she saw the child standing next to her with a gun.
Allen told investigators she only realized she'd been shot when blood started running down her face.
Deputies say Allen was expected to be ok.
The child's mother was in the other room. His father told deputies he kept the loaded gun between the mattresses.
Sheriff's investigators are working with the state attorney's office to determine whether charges will be filed.
- 20-year-old girl dies in Cape Coral scooter crash
- $590M-plus Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Bikers participate in Collier County 'Freedom Ride'
- Body of autistic boy vacationing in Fla. is found
- Friends Mourn Friend Killed in Motor Scooter Crash
- Fla. Gov. will veto 3 percent college tuition hike
- Fla. gov. steps up pace on signing death warrants
- Hundreds of bikers honor military with Freedom Ride 2013
- Click it or Ticket campaign begins May 20th