NAPLES, Fla - In just a few days two Naples men will embark on a nine day journey.
The men are climbing Mount Kilimanjaro to raise money and awareness for a Naples non-profit aimed at helping women and children in need.
Glen Schwesinger and Gordon Kellam set a goal to raise $50,000 and every penny will go the Sheltr for Abused Women and Children in Naples.
For Glen and Gordon climbing Mount Kilimanjaro is a personal challenge, something to cross off the bucket list. "It's something we've always wanted to do in the first place, but now we can do it for a cause and raise awareness for The Shelter, raise money for The Shelter and we've done a lot of both," says Kellam.
The two men have been training for months, preparing both mentally and physically for the 20,000 foot trek up the highest free-standing mountain in the world.
Kellam says over the last two month they've mentally put themselves into the situation. "Knowing the things you're going to go through physically, knowing that your oxygen levels are going to be depleted, preparing for potentially getting sick and going through the things that are inevitable somewhere down the line."
Glen and Gordon will cross five different sub-climates on their way to the top, something 25,000 people attempt to do every year with only two-thirds reaching their goal.
"There's no guarantee we make it to the top, but we're pretty confident," says Kellam.
The two leave for Africa Sunday morning. One of the first things they plan to do when they arrive is to visit a local women's shelter near the base of Kilimanjaro.
- 20-year-old girl dies in Cape Coral scooter crash
- $590M-plus Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Bikers participate in Collier County 'Freedom Ride'
- Friends Mourn Friend Killed in Motor Scooter Crash
- Body of autistic boy vacationing in Fla. is found
- Fla. Gov. will veto 3 percent college tuition hike
- Fla. gov. steps up pace on signing death warrants
- Consumer group flags high SPF ratings on sunscreen
- Hundreds of bikers honor military with Freedom Ride 2013
- Click it or Ticket campaign begins May 20th