|Published:||Feb 19, 2013 6:50 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 19, 2013 6:53 PM EST|
CHARLOTTE COUNTY, Fl. - A store security officer badly beaten after reportedly catching shoplifters in the act.
Charlotte County Deputies are searching for three suspects and hope surveillance video will help.
Cuts and bruises to his face and head. His mouth wired shut after injuries to his jaw. Deputies say this loss prevention officer should be thankful he's alive.
"The fact that they did something as bad as knocking him to the ground and kicking him and actually physically doing damage i mean when you kick somebody in the head, they could die," says Joe Fiorini, Community Policing Officer.
Deputy Fiorini says shoplifting cases don't normally end with violence.
"...Resist and pull away and stuff but to actually start hitting somebody that's quite unusual for this area," he adds.
Surveillance video from inside the Kmart near the mall shows the three suspects entering the store. Later, one leaves after the officer says he witnessed him stuffing merchandise down his pants.
Deputies say the officer approached the suspect outside and was attacked from behind.
"The suspects in that case could be charged with as high as attempted murder," he adds.
- LCSO investigates a death at Edison State College
- Human remains found on Shell Point Blvd.
- Cape woman suffers serious burns after morning kitchen fire
- Ohio cop, wife face child neglect charge in Fla.
- FCAT writing results show improvement for Lee students
- Investigators: suspect lit flares in attic of Gateway home
- Collier deputies arrest 12 y/o girl for library bomb threat
- Lee Dept. of Health offers free pool testing kit
- Burglary suspect casually takes items from unlocked vehicle
- Fla. woman meets son she gave up for adoption