|Published:||Feb 18, 2013 10:52 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 18, 2013 10:52 PM EST|
NEW YORK (AP) - Authorities say an NFL player has been arrested at a New York airport after police found a loaded handgun in his luggage.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive end Da'Quan Bowers was awaiting arraignment Monday on charges of criminal possession of a weapon.
Bowers was arrested at LaGuardia Airport as he was about to board a US Airways flight to Raleigh, N.C. Authorities say the loaded .40-caliber weapon was found during a search of his carry-on bag.
A Queens district attorney's office spokeswoman says Bowers will be charged in Criminal Court.
Bowers played college football for Clemson University and was chosen by the Buccaneers in the 2011 NFL draft.
He's in police custody and can't be reached for comment by telephone. The Buccaneers haven't returned messages seeking comment.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- LCSO: Hohensee died from self-inflicted gun shot wound
- Floridians pay the price for illegal Curbstoning
- 12 sentenced in South Florida grow house operation
- Friends remember Hohensee as kind and helpful, not violent
- Investigation in to the Hohensee marriage
- Naples man honored for using epilepsy to inspire others
- Fla. using federal grant money to settle lawsuit