|Published:||Feb 18, 2013 10:52 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 18, 2013 10:52 PM EST|
NEW YORK (AP) - Authorities say an NFL player has been arrested at a New York airport after police found a loaded handgun in his luggage.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive end Da'Quan Bowers was awaiting arraignment Monday on charges of criminal possession of a weapon.
Bowers was arrested at LaGuardia Airport as he was about to board a US Airways flight to Raleigh, N.C. Authorities say the loaded .40-caliber weapon was found during a search of his carry-on bag.
A Queens district attorney's office spokeswoman says Bowers will be charged in Criminal Court.
Bowers played college football for Clemson University and was chosen by the Buccaneers in the 2011 NFL draft.
He's in police custody and can't be reached for comment by telephone. The Buccaneers haven't returned messages seeking comment.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings not alone
- LCSO investigates North Ft. Myers homicide
- Suspect cuts Punta Gorda horse's mane
- Victim's parents ask for public's help in finding suspect
- Man who lost leg to propeller unable to reach settlement
- Five years fatality free: Florida set to break gator record
- Sun-N-Fun Lagoon opens for Collier schools' winter break
- Templeton Shootout drives millions into Naples economy
- House to tackle flood insurance rate hikes
- FWC reports 20th panther mortality for 2013