|Published:||Feb 18, 2013 11:16 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 19, 2013 11:41 AM EST|
FORT MYERS, Fla.- Country music singer and Fort Myers native Mindy McCready committed suicide Sunday afternoon. Now, the future of her two sons hangs in the balance.
The 37-year-old's struggle with addiction and depression made headlines over the years. She was shot on the same porch where her late boyfriend, David Wilson, was also found dead last month.
Billy McKnight, a former boyfriend, said Mindy had threatened to kill herself after losing custody of one of her sons earlier this month, yet she was allowed to leave the court-ordered rehabilitation program just days before her death.
"I feel awful that this happened to her, but the signs were everywhere. It was coming. It's a shame. It's very sad, but it was coming," said McKnight.
McKnight said he will fight for full custody of their 6-year-old. As for Mindy's 10-month-old baby, there's no telling what will happen to him, now that both his parents are dead.
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- Teacher accused of relationship with 18 y/o student resigns
- CCSO: Man threatens to shoot deputy during domestic dispute
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- Judge approves Cape Coral fire assessment
- Salvation Army receives another 'Mimi coin' donation
- 1 suspect in Miami-Dade police manhunt identified
- Police chief resigns in troubled Fla. city
- Ida Baker assistant principal put on leave