|Published:||Feb 18, 2013 11:16 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 19, 2013 11:41 AM EST|
FORT MYERS, Fla.- Country music singer and Fort Myers native Mindy McCready committed suicide Sunday afternoon. Now, the future of her two sons hangs in the balance.
The 37-year-old's struggle with addiction and depression made headlines over the years. She was shot on the same porch where her late boyfriend, David Wilson, was also found dead last month.
Billy McKnight, a former boyfriend, said Mindy had threatened to kill herself after losing custody of one of her sons earlier this month, yet she was allowed to leave the court-ordered rehabilitation program just days before her death.
"I feel awful that this happened to her, but the signs were everywhere. It was coming. It's a shame. It's very sad, but it was coming," said McKnight.
McKnight said he will fight for full custody of their 6-year-old. As for Mindy's 10-month-old baby, there's no telling what will happen to him, now that both his parents are dead.
- Three hospitalized after early morning Cape Coral crash
- Lee deputies investigating death on Bokeelia. ID released
- Lee deputies searching for 7-Eleven robber
- Fort Myers criminal defense attorney commits suicide
- Charlotte County deputies investigate shooting at a party
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp festival happening this weekend
- Child Struck And Killed By Vehicle In Bonita Springs.