|Published:||Feb 12, 2013 11:52 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 12, 2013 11:52 PM EST|
FORT MYERS, FL-- More efforts are underway to fix long voting lines during elections. Senator Bill Nelson wants to set a time limit on how long you will have to wait in line to cast your ballot.
John and Eloise King take voting very seriously.
"It is not just a right it is a duty and a privilege," said King.
During last years presidential election they waited four hours to vote.
"It was so, so slow," she said.
Slow might be an understatement.
"Course we had people waiting in line for seven hours to cast their ballot," said Democratic Florida senator Bill Nelson.
Senator Nelson and California senator Barbara Boxer are sponsoring legislation to make sure you won't wait in line for more than an hour to vote.
It also would issue new standards by 2014 for the minimum number of voting machines and poll workers.
"Any legislation that just gives us the opportunity to vote would be good," said upset voter Henry Gerrero.
Gerrero, his wife and daughter were not able to vote because of the long lines.
"In a free country we are supposed to have that option and it wasn't provided in a manner that was suitable," he said.
Lee County Supervisor of Elections, Sharon Harrington, said decisions regarding polling machines and staff should be left to each individual county.
She also said "Even with adequate personnel and equipment, how can anyone guarantee that there wouldn't be a line?"
A question King is also asking, but says at least now she feels heard.
"I never want to look at people and think I am not sure you are young enough to vote or i am not sure you're young enough to stand here long enough to vote," said King.
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Punta Gorda victim of theft follows and detains suspect
- Lottery sales suspended at stores raided for illegal drugs
- CCSO: no reason to believe accused murderer heading to SWFL
- NTSB releases preliminary report on Fla. jet crash
- 3 people killed in Florida Panhandle boat crash
- Man who rescued motorcycle rider, killed in crash on Friday
- 2nd bear suspected in woman's mauling euthanized
- Sentencing delayed for Tampa abortion drug case