|Published:||Feb 12, 2013 5:50 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 12, 2013 5:50 PM EST|
STARKE, Fla. (AP) - A man on Florida's death row has died while awaiting his execution.
The Department of Corrections reports that 49-year-old Tommy Wyatt died Friday. The cause of death was not disclosed.
Authorities say Wyatt and another man, Michael Lovette, ran away from a North Carolina prison roadwork crew in 1988, heading to Florida and kicking off a cross-state crime spree. They ended up in Vero Beach, where they robbed a Domino's Pizza. Authorities say Wyatt fatally shot three employees after raping one of them.
Officials say Wyatt also killed a Tampa-area woman that he met at a bar.
Scripps Treasure Coast Newspapers (http://bit.ly/VRk1cZ) reports that Wyatt's attorneys were still appealing his case to the federal courts.
Lovette remains in state prison, serving 10 life sentences for murder, robbery and kidnapping.
Information from: The Stuart (Fla.) News, http://www.tcpalm.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Hostage situation ends in house fire, man found dead inside
- Ft. Myers man dies in New Jersey crash, wife critically hurt
- FWC relocates largest black bear captured in Fla.
- Sun Splash Waterpark begins summer hours Friday
- Desoto officials search for missing Nocatee man
- Crash with injuries on Veterans at Chiquita blocks traffic
- Investigation determines electrical problems caused bus fire
- Union vote set for some Lee Co. government workers
- Island Park brush fire remains mostly contained
- Salvation Army of Fla. assists Oklahoma tornado victims