|Published:||Feb 12, 2013 5:50 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 12, 2013 5:50 PM EST|
STARKE, Fla. (AP) - A man on Florida's death row has died while awaiting his execution.
The Department of Corrections reports that 49-year-old Tommy Wyatt died Friday. The cause of death was not disclosed.
Authorities say Wyatt and another man, Michael Lovette, ran away from a North Carolina prison roadwork crew in 1988, heading to Florida and kicking off a cross-state crime spree. They ended up in Vero Beach, where they robbed a Domino's Pizza. Authorities say Wyatt fatally shot three employees after raping one of them.
Officials say Wyatt also killed a Tampa-area woman that he met at a bar.
Scripps Treasure Coast Newspapers (http://bit.ly/VRk1cZ) reports that Wyatt's attorneys were still appealing his case to the federal courts.
Lovette remains in state prison, serving 10 life sentences for murder, robbery and kidnapping.
Information from: The Stuart (Fla.) News, http://www.tcpalm.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Fire destroys home, 2 cars, motorcycle in Port Charlotte
- iGeneration Charter School in Immokalee shuts down
- Barbara B. Mann remembered at annual Holiday Carol Sing
- Naples Botanical Garden Night Lights kicks off tonight
- City of Palms Classic tips off in Fort Myers
- Florida U.S. Senator offers to go to Iran for CIA contractor
- I-75 south lanes closed near Sarasota after crash
- Firefighters find body in Ocala home; dog rescued
- Police: Driver hits biker, drives with him on car
- Inmate charged in central Fla. woman's 2011 death