|Published:||Feb 11, 2013 11:00 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 11, 2013 11:39 PM EST|
NAPLES, Fla - A Naples woman is thankful to be alive after she is hit by a drunk driver while riding her bike.
The crash happened Saturday on US 41 East near Saint Andrews Boulevard in East Naples. Annette Thompson was med-flighted to Lee Memorial Hospital where she has had two surgeries on a broken arm and a broken leg.
41-year-old William Burns was arrested. Officials say he swerved and hit Thompson from behind.
Friend Michael Harper says, "she feels very blessed. She is recognizing that she's hurting and she has some broken bones, but she's blessed because she knows they will mend, she'll recover and she'll be back on the bicycle."
An FHP report says Thompson was in the bike lane and she was wearing a helmet. Harper tells WINK News Thompson is an avid cyclist and that she was heading out on a 70 mile bike ride Saturday when she was struck.
Burns is charged with two misdemeanor DUI's and felony DUI with serious bodily injury, a felony.
- Deputies find body at scene of Pt. Charlotte house fire
- FMPD IDs victim in fatal shooting, suspect search continues
- Charlotte deputies ID body found in burned garage
- Dr. Joseph Burke's Last Day as Superintendent
- Poll: Rubio gets negative marks on immigration
- School board approves new superintendent's contract
- Police find 2 bodies inside West Palm Beach school
- Fla. school tells students to drop online classes
- Judge sends N. Fla. man to prison for life
- Judge reads charge against Zimmerman to jurors