|Published:||Feb 11, 2013 11:00 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 11, 2013 11:39 PM EST|
NAPLES, Fla - A Naples woman is thankful to be alive after she is hit by a drunk driver while riding her bike.
The crash happened Saturday on US 41 East near Saint Andrews Boulevard in East Naples. Annette Thompson was med-flighted to Lee Memorial Hospital where she has had two surgeries on a broken arm and a broken leg.
41-year-old William Burns was arrested. Officials say he swerved and hit Thompson from behind.
Friend Michael Harper says, "she feels very blessed. She is recognizing that she's hurting and she has some broken bones, but she's blessed because she knows they will mend, she'll recover and she'll be back on the bicycle."
An FHP report says Thompson was in the bike lane and she was wearing a helmet. Harper tells WINK News Thompson is an avid cyclist and that she was heading out on a 70 mile bike ride Saturday when she was struck.
Burns is charged with two misdemeanor DUI's and felony DUI with serious bodily injury, a felony.
- Lee deputies investigating death on Bokeelia. ID released
- Fort Myers criminal defense attorney commits suicide
- Lee deputies searching for 7-Eleven robber
- Charlotte County deputies investigate shooting at a party
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp festival happening this weekend
- Child Struck And Killed By Vehicle In Bonita Springs.