Published: Feb 11, 2013 4:58 PM EST
Updated: Feb 12, 2013 10:37 AM EST

MARCO ISLAND, Fla.- UPDATE: The fire was determined to have been caused by a scented candle too close to a roll of paper towels in the kitchen. The owner was burning the candle to "make the house smell nice" before a showing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crews battled a fire at 1774 Waterfall Court, just before 1:15 p.m. this afternoon. Neighbors across the canal called authorities after seeing the house on fire.

The flames was through the roof before firefighters reached the scene. Isles of Capri, East Naples, Collier County EMS and Marco Island Fire all responded and had the fire under control in 45 minutes.

No one was home at the time of the fire. The owner arrived home shortly afterward.

The structure is a total loss.

The Fire Marshal is investigating.

(Photos courtesy of the City of Marco Island)