|Published:||Feb 07, 2013 3:25 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 07, 2013 3:25 PM EST|
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - A Tampa Bay area man has been sentenced to 40 years in prison for beating his wife to death.
A Hillsborough County judge sentenced 46-year-old Lawrence Dickey on Thursday. A jury convicted him of second-degree murder in December. The judge could have given Dickey a life sentence.
Prosecutors say Lawrence and his wife, 44-year-old Beatrice Dickey, had been fighting over his excessive drinking during a Tampa Journey concert in September 2011. After she went to bed at their Plant City home, Lawrence Dickey struck his wife with an aluminum baseball bat.
Dickey testified during his trial that he was intoxicated and couldn't remember the attack.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings spotted in SC
- Gov. Scott wants to cut auto registration fees
- 3-year-old allegedly sets Cape Coral apartment fire
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Fla man jailed after losing $100 in card game
- Woman allegedly caught on camera taking wallet, using card
- Bike run to benefit Toys for Tots this Saturday
- Boy, 4, may have died of bacterial meningitis
- Lee-DOH reports 5 raccoon bites in less than 3 weeks
- St. Pete woman accidentally shot boyfriend