|Published:||Feb 07, 2013 3:25 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 07, 2013 3:25 PM EST|
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - A Tampa Bay area man has been sentenced to 40 years in prison for beating his wife to death.
A Hillsborough County judge sentenced 46-year-old Lawrence Dickey on Thursday. A jury convicted him of second-degree murder in December. The judge could have given Dickey a life sentence.
Prosecutors say Lawrence and his wife, 44-year-old Beatrice Dickey, had been fighting over his excessive drinking during a Tampa Journey concert in September 2011. After she went to bed at their Plant City home, Lawrence Dickey struck his wife with an aluminum baseball bat.
Dickey testified during his trial that he was intoxicated and couldn't remember the attack.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Family hospitalized after eating meat with LSD
- Cape police arrest 2nd suspect in child neglect case
- Man accused of killing dog with pickaxe appears in court
- Man posts Facebook video of himself jumping on manatees
- CCSO: Woman uses stolen credit card to buy TV
- Cape woman at center of life support controversy passes away
- Fmr Cape resident accused of attempted sex trafficking
- Music Man Redux - Teacher needs instruments for good cause
- Woman, 97, hit by trooper dies of injuries
- Car drives into hole in Cape Coral