|Published:||Feb 06, 2013 12:28 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 06, 2013 4:11 PM EST|
COLLIER COUNTY, Fla.- A group of Collier County citizens are pushing for an increase in the tourist tax.
The list of Collier County beach projects in need of dredging and funding is growing. That's why the Collier Community Alliance, which is a group of citizens, wants to increase the tax from 4 percent to 5 percent.
Some hotel owners say the increase would be detrimental to business.
The group will present the idea at the Naples City Council meeting today. Ultimately, it will be up to the County Commission to approve the increase and decide what the funds should be used for.
- Lee County pursuit ends in crash in Collier County
- Fort Myers man arrested in road rage shooting incident
- New video shows Hohensee's anger
- FMPD arrests 10 on drug charges, looking for 9 more
- Request to exhume remains from panhandle school rejected
- Beware of Memorial Day scams aimed at military personnel
- Gearing up for summer with Memorial Day travel
- Community comes together for Safety Fair & 5k
- Fort Myers Dog Show takes over Lee Civic Center
- Communications satellite launched into space