|Published:||Feb 05, 2013 2:36 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 05, 2013 2:36 PM EST|
FORT MYERS, Fla.- The Fort Myers Police Department is cracking down on people who illegally carry firearms. Undercover vice and uniformed patrol removed 328 guns from City streets during 2012. Operation Safe Neighborhood is a proactive approach to reduce crime and improve quality of life in the City of Fort Myers. A task force assigned to the operation works to identify and arrest people that commit violent crimes and to arrest individuals who illegally possess firearms.
In addition to gun interdiction the directed patrols have had positive results in 2012:
29,285 Citizen Contacts
8,027 Traffic Stops
7,607 Traffic Tickets
1,168 Felony Charges
A total of 1,605 guns have been removed from City streets since the effort began in 2008.
- Woman's throat slit by daughter's boyfriend, 15
- Police arrest man who crashed his car into Cape canal
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Woman allegedly steals iPhone 5S from Verizon Store
- Vehicle catches fire on Oil Well Rd.
- Dump truck and car crash on SW 20th Ave.
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- Crist defends President Obama, blasts Scott
- CCSO investigates possible link in Waffle House robberies
- Driver suffers serious injuries after causing 3-car crash