|Published:||Feb 05, 2013 10:33 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 05, 2013 11:51 PM EST|
FORT Myers-Fla-Piece by piece workers at Scott Carter Signs are repairing the God is love sign.
So far, they've sanded it down and removed the glass and neon. Now they're trying to straighten out the dents. Eventually they'll replace much of the sheet metal and rebuild the glass. Soon it will look brand new.
For 70-years the sign has been part of the landscape here on Mcgregor boulevard. But recently a large truck backed into the neon sign and broke it.
Resident Andrew Banyai said, "It has been here ever since I moved into town when I drive by it on Mcgregor it is a landmark that I point out to family and friends who visit and I think it is a message everyone should take to heart."
Now the spot where it once stood proudly is marked by a much smaller sign that lets residents know the sign is under repair. Many said they hope the historic landmark is back up where it belongs very soon.
Darell Hoskisson said, "I guess I like a little bit of personality and I like how Fort Myers isn't all cookie cutter."
Scott Cornwell said, "To me it is like the palm trees on Mcgregor blvd you go by the God is love sign and it is like a landmarker."
At this point, we do not know how much it will cost to repair the sign.
It should be repaired in a few weeks.
- Suspects in San Carlos Park home invasion caught
- How you can help tornado victims in Oklahoma
- Charlotte detectives look for suspect in credit card fraud
- Judge steps down in Watlington vs. McGregor Baptist case
- $60K approved for Lee school district convention
- SOLD: Lee County school buildings
- New Florida voting law
- Cape woman keeps track of OK friends, family
- Senate committee approves immigration bill