FORT MYERS, Fla.- The Fort Myers Police Department has submitted the Annual Uniform Crime Report to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for review. Overall crime is down in the City of Fort Myers -18.2 percent for 2012 compared to 2011, according to the report. Below is a breakdown of crime for 2012 and 2011.
Burglary: (2012) 507 (2011) 667
Theft: (2012) 1,639 (2011) 2,153
Auto Theft: (2012) 200 (2011) 198
Robbery: (2012) 172 (2011) 170
Assault: (2012) 497 (2011) 518
Sex Offenses: (2012) 61 (2011) 62
Murder: (2012) 24 (2011) 20
In 2012, the City experienced a -22.3 percent decrease in non-violent crimes and -2.1 percent decrease in violent crime.
Recently, Chief Doug Baker upped the ante on reward money in hopes of getting citizens involved. You can earn an additional $5,000 for tips that lead to the arrests of people illegally possessing firearms and those who have committed robberies. FMPD is also offering a reward of up to $25,000 to anyone who provides information that leads to the arrest and conviction of a suspect responsible for any homicide in the City of Fort Myers.
Anyone with information is asked to call FMPD at 321-7700, Crime Stoppers at 1-800-780-TIPS or text message C-R-I-M-E-S (274637) Keyword FMPD.
- Body of autistic boy vacationing in Fla. is found
- Friends Mourn Friend Killed in Motor Scooter Crash
- Fla. gov. steps up pace on signing death warrants
- Fla. Gov. will veto 3 percent college tuition hike
- Consumer group flags high SPF ratings on sunscreen
- Click it or Ticket campaign begins May 20th
- Shooting investigation in North Fort Myers