|Published:||Feb 04, 2013 5:21 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 04, 2013 5:24 PM EST|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - The state's top election official wants more early voting days and more locations after a botched Election Day in Lee County and other parts of the state.
Long lines plagued precincts in Lee County on Election Day. Since then, state lawmakers have been discussing ways to keep this from happening again.
Voters waited for hours to cast their ballot back in November. Some got tired of waiting and simply walked away. Since then, Secretary of State, Ken Detzner, made the trip to Lee County to meet with Supervisor of Elections, Sharon Harrington.
WINK News was in Tallahassee in January when Harrington testified in front of lawmakers and now Detzner agrees.
He's recommending extending early voting from a minimum of eight days to a maximum of 14 days. Also, giving each county the opportunity to set up on the Sunday before an election.
Detzner wants to keep ballots shorter by limiting the length of the constitutional amendments and an earlier deadline for requesting absentee ballots.
"I was extremely pleased when I read it, it seems like he touched on everything we talked about when we were up in Tallahassee for our hearings and when he came down to do the personal interview with all of us," said Sharon Harrington, Lee County Supervisor of Elections.
Two years ago, Governor Rick Scott signed a bill that cut the number of early voting days but already this year he's endorsed giving more counties more days to vote early.
- Teacher accused of relationship with 18 y/o student resigns
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- CCSO: Man threatens to shoot deputy during domestic dispute
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- Judge approves Cape Coral fire assessment
- Salvation Army receives another 'Mimi coin' donation
- 1 suspect in Miami-Dade police manhunt identified
- Ida Baker assistant principal put on leave
- Police chief resigns in troubled Fla. city
- Radel makes Forbes' list of 'biggest career crashes of 2013'