|Published:||Feb 04, 2013 6:37 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 04, 2013 7:09 PM EST|
FORT MYERS, Fla.- A report just released to WINK News gives a chilling details surrounding the death of a Fort Myers child. Police say Brianna Addison, 2 died last week at the hands of her mother's boyfriend.
Police arrested Derric Johnson, 31 on homicide and aggravated child abuse charges. Addison and two other children were left in Johnson's care for more than 10 hours while their mother Shawna Hall worked the night shift.
According to the police report, Addison had fresh bruises and bumps on her head, torso, arms, and legs, as well as a welt on her cheek that matched a small belt found in the Horizons apartment unit where the crime allegedly took place.
The toddler's sibling told investigators Johnson "gave Brianna a 'whooping' in the living room because she was bad with a belt and a shoe."
The child went on to say, "Brianna was crying and he was hitting her with a belt. He stopped hitting her when she was good," according to the report.
The police report indicates Johnson never called 911, and instead called Hall. The report also describes a text message Johnson sent the day of the crime typing, "I'm tryna throw her n the air. She was cryn like somebody killn her."
The medical examiner's office ruled the child's death a homicide, saying Addison suffered multiple blunt impacts to the head.
During questioning, police say Johnson was inconsistent, saying "[Johnson] then changed his story and admitted to tossing her in the air three to four times and her falling and hitting her head on something hard on the couch in the living room. He denied she ever fell on the floor."
Johnson has been charged 40 times for a variety of offenses in Lee County. The Department of Children and Families has investigated Shawna Hall twice before, but Johnson, who has 12 kids of his own, was never part of those investigations.
Johnson is being held in the Lee County jail without bond. He is scheduled to appear in court on March 4th.
- Defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- LCSO: Hohensee died from self-inflicted gun shot wound
- Vehicles flee the scene after seriously injuring pedestrian
- A look at the dangers of riding a motorcycle
- CCSO searches for missing 23 y/o Golden Gate woman
- Man finds drugs in a safe in front of his Pt. Charlotte home
- Floridians pay the price for illegal Curbstoning
- Charlotte County does away with PE class
- NOAA predicts another busy hurricane season
- 12 sentenced in South Florida grow house operation