|Published:||Feb 04, 2013 4:11 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 04, 2013 4:11 PM EST|
LEHIGH ACRES, Fla.- A 23-year-old victim suffered multiple burn wounds and lacerations after accidentally shooting himself in the genitals with a flare gun.
Deputies responded to the 2700 block of 33rd St. SW on Sunday, just before 9:30 a.m.
They say the victim was playing with a flare gun in the master bedroom, that he had reportedly checked to make sure was empty before firing. A witness said she saw him load it, put it down and pick it up again, not remembering he had loaded it, before pointing the gun at the floor and firing it. That's when the flare rounds struck the floor and ricocheted, hitting the victim in the genitals.
He was transported to Lehigh Medical Center for treatment.
- Teacher accused of having relationship with student
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- Red drift algae could pile up on SWFL beaches in 2014
- Collier Co. begins looking for land to build soccer complex
- Golisano Children's Hospital holds ceremonial groundbreaking
- Mobile home fire in North Fort Myers
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- Historic central Fla. house moved on barge
- Fla. man guilty in taxi, food delivery robberies
- USDA predicts smaller citrus crop in Florida