|Published:||Feb 04, 2013 6:27 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 04, 2013 11:17 PM EST|
LEE COUNTY, Fla. - A hospital worker's quick thinking prevents a near tragedy outside a Health Park Medical Center in Lee County. It happened on New Year's Eve, but the video was just released today.
"We're transporters so we don't really see that much action," says Laura Raiola.
It was like any other day at work for 20-year-old Laura Raiola. She's been a transporter for just under a year and was wheeling out a patient to go home. They went out to meet his wife just outside the main lobby.
"Theyhad a bag which he was trying to put in his trunk but she couldn't find the button to put in his trunk..." she says.
So the husband walked around the car to help her. While they tried to trade places, the car, still in reverse, started to roll backwards.
"The door was open and the car was going in reverse so it kind of took her out and then it took him out and he was getting dragged," Laura adds.
That's when Laura jumped into action. She jumped over the patients and into the car throwing it in park. She says, it must have been her adrenaline because it wasn't until she saw the video, she remembered fully what happened and how bad things could have gotten.
"That's not where I remember standing or how I got to the car I just remember getting into the car... usually our main lobby, there's cars coming in and out all the time and there's people in and out all the time... we were really lucky," she says.
While her uniform says her official title, since that day, Laura has had a few other names added.
"Some people call me wonder woman, some people call me cat woman down in the ER," she laughs.
- LCSO investigates a death at Edison State College
- Human remains found on Shell Point Blvd.
- Cape woman suffers serious burns after morning kitchen fire
- Ohio cop, wife face child neglect charge in Fla.
- Charlotte Academy student embarassed, mother angry
- FCAT writing results show improvement for Lee students
- Investigators: suspect lit flares in attic of Gateway home
- Collier deputies arrest 12 y/o girl for library bomb threat
- Lee Dept. of Health offers free pool testing kit
- Dog tests positive for rabies in Charlotte County