|Published:||Feb 04, 2013 9:06 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 05, 2013 12:57 AM EST|
Cape Coral-Fla.Elizabeth Stark and the victim, Mary Watkins, were neighbors and best friends for the last 20 years.
"She was very helpful, a lovely person, and she come to my house almost every single day."
Stark never imagined Sunday would be the last day they'd ever spend together.
Cape Coral Police said around 2pm Monday afternoon Watkins veered off Academy Boulevard near SE 22nd Terrace and slammed into a utility pole and palm tree head on.
Robbie Garvin said, "I heard the big boom and it woke me up so I ran out and saw the lady in the car and we tried to help but she was not responsive."
The crash knocked out power to dozens of neighbors for about five hours.
We found a family of four who even set up a generator.
Neighbor Michele Drum said, "I home school my child so I need all the help I can get we just got it running so hopefully we can get some dinner too."
While these people may have lost power Monday night. they realize their inconvenience is nothing compared to the pain of those who lost a loved one.
"She comes by all the time and says Hi just been a really nice neighbor. I can't believe it you never know from one day to the next," said the victim's friend Dan Markgraf.
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- CCSO: Man threatens to shoot deputy during domestic dispute
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- No plans to remove wreckage from fatal boat crash
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- S Fla biologist recovering after rattlesnake bite
- Historic central Fla. house moved on barge
- Salvation Army receives another 'Mimi coin' donation
- Fla. man guilty in taxi, food delivery robberies