|Published:||Feb 02, 2013 5:47 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 02, 2013 5:47 PM EST|
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- What started as a fun birthday celebration turned into a tragic nightmare only one day later. WINK News has learned new details in the death of two-year-old Brianna Addison, who died at her home in the Horizons Apartments on Wednesday.
According to her mother's Facebook page, the family was celebrating the one-year birthday of one of Shawna Hall's kids on Tuesday. But by 9:15 the next morning, Fort Myers Police found Brianna unresponsive.
The mother's live-in boyfriend, Derric Johnson, has been charged with the child's death. Police say he shook and beat the child, ultimately killing her. Our partners at the News-Press spoke with the suspects mother, Lizzie Johnson, who says her son told her through text message that Brianna had died.
Derric Johnson's arrest record is more than six feet long. He's been charged with 40 different counts in Lee County, including drug and weapons charges.
Johnson lived at the Horizons Apartments with Hall. His mother says the two have dated on and off for years, but they got back together recently when Johnson was released from prison about three months ago.
DCF has investigated Brianna's mother twice before. Johnson, who has 12 kids of his own, was never part of those investigations. Hall's two remaining children are in state custody for the time being.
Johnson is still behind bars. He's due back in court next month.
- Gov. Scott wants to cut auto registration fees
- 3-year-old allegedly sets Cape Coral apartment fire
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings spotted in SC
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Bike run to benefit Toys for Tots this Saturday
- Fla man jailed after losing $100 in card game
- Boy, 4, may have died of bacterial meningitis
- Woman allegedly caught on camera taking wallet, using card
- NASA suspects bad valve for space station trouble
- St. Pete woman accidentally shot boyfriend