|Published:||Jan 31, 2013 10:28 AM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 31, 2013 10:28 AM EST|
KEY WEST, Fla. (AP) - An original wrought-iron gate from the one-time Key West home of Ernest Hemingway is being auctioned on eBay.
The gate hung at the side entrance of the property where the Nobel Prize-winning author lived in the 1930s and wrote many of his classic works. It is believed to have been installed in 1935, when a brick privacy wall was built around the Whitehead Street home Hemingway occupied with his wife and sons.
In 1964, the property became a museum honoring the author.
The gate was replaced in 2011 with one that better protected the nearly 50 cats that reside on the property. The original was donated to Helpline, a non-profit local crisis hotline, to be auctioned for fundraising.
The auction is to end Feb. 8.
Online: Hemingway Gate eBay Auction, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ernest-Hemingways-Gate-from-His-Key-West-Home-/160965956706
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Man surrenders after stand-off in St. James City
- EPA safety testing closes Desoto Middle School
- Collier school district approves new cyberbullying policy
- Florida election a test for Obama health care law
- Trial date set for daycare owner charged in boy's drowning
- Ukrainian student in SWFL shares perspective on unrest
- Woman works to improve the Dunbar community
- Injunction for husband of woman who drove in ocean
- FSU students spend spring break 'serving the underserved'
- Former head of Harborside sues City of Ft. Myers