|Published:||Jan 29, 2013 3:32 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 29, 2013 5:23 PM EST|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- One local pediatrician is looking for the "biggest winner" in her new health challenge. Dr. Annette St. Pierre-MacKoul is challenging you to live a healthy life.
"We're trying to get kids excited about being healthy and not think it's a chore," said Dr. St. Pierre-MacKoul.
The goal? To be the "biggest winner" and the Fort Myers pediatrician says it's not just about shedding pounds, it's about changing a way of life.
"When we talk about children and weight, very rarely do they want to lose weight, we wanted them to be big winners in getting control of their health habits," said Dr. St. Pierre-MacKoul.
11-year-old, Andelino Calderon and his mom Barbara have accepted Dr. St. Pierre- MacKoul's challenge.
"If you don't go for it, you're the loser instead of the winner," said Thomas.
"I wouldn't do much exercise, but now I exercise and I am active," said Andelino.
Dr. St. Pierre-MacKoul says one key to success is to have four vegetable and fruit servings a day, plenty of water, exercise and sleep.
"I want to change how I eat before bed- for example instead of having ice cream, eating healthier before bed."
Andelino has already seen results.
"When he was weighed in on Thursday and when he was weighed in today, he's already lost 4-5 pounds," said Thomas.
Here's how the challenge works: Each competitor weighs in, gets their vital signs taken, then it's off to exercise.
The challenge is free and open to anyone who wants to participate. Workouts are held Monday through Friday from 4:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. A personal trainer will also be there to coach you through your workout. To sign up you can call Dr. St. Pierre- MacKoul at (239) 415-1131.
- Teacher accused of having relationship with student
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- Mobile home destroyed in suspicious North Fort Myers fire
- Collier Co. begins looking for land to build soccer complex
- No plans to remove wreckage from fatal boat crash
- S Fla biologist recovering after rattlesnake bite
- Historic central Fla. house moved on barge
- Fla. man guilty in taxi, food delivery robberies
- Search ends for 2 missing from migrants' raft