|Published:||Jan 28, 2013 5:20 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 28, 2013 5:20 PM EST|
PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla.- Motorcyclist Elmer Morra died after a driver hit him near Veterans Blvd. and Norman Street over the weekend. The 82-year-old victim's wife and local bikers say the tragedy is a reminder to drivers.
WINK News first met Morra in 2008 after he helped deputies chase down a hit and run suspect...all on his bike.
Morra's wife, Emily, says her husband did everything on his bike. The Pennsylvania couple owns a house in the area. She was getting ready to fly into town on Sunday.
"I was sitting there reading the paper and the police come up the driveway...I got my son in here and that's when they told us what happened," said Emily.
Investigators say Morra was riding down Veterans Blvd. and while approaching the Norman Street intersection, a driver pulled out without seeing him. The two crashed and Morra died later at the hospital.
"He was a people person. He liked people. Everybody talked to him," said Emily.
Local rider Greg Borden says, this tragedy is a reminder to everyone out on the roads.
"Be aware all time of what's around you because you better be looking for them 'cause they ain't looking for you," Borden said.
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings not alone
- LCSO investigates North Ft. Myers homicide
- Suspect cuts Punta Gorda horse's mane
- Victim's parents ask for public's help in finding suspect
- Man who lost leg to propeller unable to reach settlement
- Five years fatality free: Florida set to break gator record
- Sun-N-Fun Lagoon opens for Collier schools' winter break
- Templeton Shootout drives millions into Naples economy
- House to tackle flood insurance rate hikes
- Neighbors say homicide victim was loved by everyone