Published: Jan 23, 2013 12:08 PM EST
Updated: Jan 23, 2013 5:19 PM EST

BONITA SPRINGS, Fla.- UPDATE: The deceased has been positively identified as 69-year-old Roy M. Ahalt III, of 3420 Ballybridge Circle Unit 201.

This incident has been ruled a traffic homicide and the investigation have determined that alcohol was a factor in this crash.


On Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at approximately 8:12pm, the Lee County Sheriff’s Office received a call regarding a vehicle on fire near the intersection of Liberty Youth Ranch Way and Wellfield Road in Bonita Springs. When emergency personnel arrived on scene, they found a deceased person inside the vehicle.

During the investigation, it was found that the vehicle was involved in a single-car crash. The vehicle hit trees in the wooded area and caught fire.

The person inside the vehicle has not yet been identified and neither has the vehicle.

The investigation continues. 


A fiery car crash off a secluded Bonita Springs road left one person dead Tuesday night, and it could be several days more until the victim's identity is confirmed.

According to the Lee County Sheriff's Office, the body is at the medical examiner's office, and is so badly burned from the accident, identification can take longer than usual.

The accident scene is off of Liberty Youth Ranch Way and Wellfield Road, deep inside a county preserve. The crash site also butts up against a private ranch.

Deputies were called to the scene after 8 p.m. and found the car crashed into the trees and on fire.

WINK News spoke with workers at the nearby ranch, who say they frequently carry produce through the area in the evening and spotted the car driving on their property.

Comer Taylor, the ranch owner, says one of his workers was driving tomatoes down the road, when he watched the driver speed off and crash.

Jeff Taylor, a ranch worker, says he quickly drove up the scene, and by that time, the car was nearly destroyed and it was not apparent there was a person inside.

"I looked at it and I said, 'It's all burned up.' So I called 9-1-1," said Taylor. "I thought somebody stole a car... and went back there to joy ride or something, got spooked and wrecked the car and run through the woods and got away."

Another question puzzling the workers at the ranch, is how the car gained access to the area, noting there are multiple gates locking public traffic out.