|Published:||Jan 23, 2013 10:28 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 23, 2013 10:28 PM EST|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - It was almost "lights out" for a well-known Fort Myers landmark. The "God is love" sign has stood for about 70 years off McGregor Boulevard, but has recently fallen into disrepair.
"I believe it's a light into the community. It's also a landmark that's been here for a long time and it really stands out," said Doug Ford, a member of the First Assembly of God Church,.
Since 1943, a neon sign with the message "God is love" greets drivers. "People coming from Fort Myers Beach or Sanibel down to the Ford, Edison Estates, they pass by it and they come year after year and it's like a landmark for them," Ford said.
"I noticed a few months back the sign was getting corrosive on the inside," said Ford.
It sits on the overgrown lawn in front of a home at the intersection of South Grove Avenue. The house is in the process of foreclosure.
"I though, maybe I should swing by and see why it's not being maintained maybe help them out maybe donate some time," Ford said.
Ford currently represents the homeowner and says Wayne Miller with the Price Foundation has offered to refurbish the sign and pay the electric bill so it can light up once again. He says Morrison Electric will come and install a meter on it.
"I believe for right now, if we can just get the sign straightened out, we'll just trust God to find someone to own the property and maintain it from there," Ford stated.
Several Fort Myers businesses have made donations to save the sign. If you would like to donate contact the Price Foundation at 239-656-0196.
- FMPD arrests robbery suspect linked to 5 robberies
- Store owner's surveillance cameras catch alleged thieves
- Collier home destroyed by fire
- Real estate search begins for Hertz executives
- Settlement reached with Lifestyle Lift
- Candidates for Cape Coral Mayor duke it out in 1st debate
- Couple accused of kidnapping kids appears in court
- Police ID man who drove into Cape Coral canal
- Naples parents protest cell phone tower at elementary school
- Hertz new HQ building plans