|Published:||Jan 22, 2013 11:50 AM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 22, 2013 11:50 AM EST|
CHARLOTTE HARBOR, Fla.- Charlotte County Sheriff's detectives report that the woman killed in a two-car head on crash Sunday at 2:40 p.m. in Charlotte Harbor stole the car and a debit card from a Deep Creek woman earlier in the day. The driver of the car was 49-year-old Kelly Jean DeRego, of 25155 Airport Road.
CCSO received a call later Sunday from the owner of the 1999 Honda Accord who lives in the 1500 block of Rio de Janerio Avenue to report her car was stolen along with her debit card. The credit card was used at seven different locations at various ATM machines; total amount of fraudulent transactions was $564.98. The owner did not know DeRego had been killed in her car on Harborview Road at Laverne Street.
The 61-year-old Deep Creek woman told detectives her part-time caretaker, DeRego, told her she was going to run some errands while the woman took a nap. When she awoke she saw her keys were missing to her Honda, along with her debit card.
CCSO responded to the head-on crash and notified FHP, Charlotte County Fire, and EMS. A 47-year-old woman from Deep Creek, driver of the other car, was taken to Fawcett Memorial Hospital. DeRego was transported to Peace River Regional Medical Center where she died from injuries. Detectives recovered the stolen credit card in DeRego’s personal belongings at the hospital. CCSO Jail records show DeRego was arrested twice and was a convicted felon.
- Family hospitalized after eating meat with LSD
- Cape police arrest 2nd suspect in child neglect case
- Man accused of killing dog with pickaxe appears in court
- Man posts Facebook video of himself jumping on manatees
- CCSO: Woman uses stolen credit card to buy TV
- Cape woman at center of life support controversy passes away
- Fmr Cape resident accused of attempted sex trafficking
- Music Man Redux - Teacher needs instruments for good cause
- Woman, 97, hit by trooper dies of injuries
- Car drives into hole in Cape Coral