|Published:||Jan 22, 2013 10:14 AM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 22, 2013 10:14 AM EST|
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a teenager may be paralyzed after he was shot by another teen while playing basketball at a park in Orlando.
Witnesses told Orlando police the 17-year-old was playing with a gun he had in in pocket when it fired about 5:15 p.m. Monday and struck the younger boy.
Police say it doesn't appear the teens had been arguing.
The 16-year-old was taken to the hospital where doctors told police it appears he is paralyzed from the stomach down.
While police say the incident appeared to be an accident. But the 17-year-old faces a number of charges, including carrying a concealed firearm, improper exhibition of a dangerous firearm, discharging a firearm in public and culpable negligence causing injury.
He was arrested and taken to a juvenile facility.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Punta Gorda victim of theft follows and detains suspect
- Cape PD warns residents of housing scam
- Woman allegedly threatened to shoot man as he walked his dog
- Florida skydiver falls with tangled parachute
- 3 headliners cancel music performances at SeaWorld
- Lee County Sheriff's deputies investigating copper theft
- NTSB releases preliminary report on Fla. jet crash
- 3 people killed in Florida Panhandle boat crash