ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a teenager may be paralyzed after he was shot by another teen while playing basketball at a park in Orlando.
Witnesses told Orlando police the 17-year-old was playing with a gun he had in in pocket when it fired about 5:15 p.m. Monday and struck the younger boy.
Police say it doesn't appear the teens had been arguing.
The 16-year-old was taken to the hospital where doctors told police it appears he is paralyzed from the stomach down.
While police say the incident appeared to be an accident. But the 17-year-old faces a number of charges, including carrying a concealed firearm, improper exhibition of a dangerous firearm, discharging a firearm in public and culpable negligence causing injury.
He was arrested and taken to a juvenile facility.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Lee County deputy & girlfriend arrested on marijuana charges
- FedEx truck hits power lines, catches on fire
- Suspects on the loose after allegedly robbing Iberia Bank
- Federal charges filed against wanted Lee County fugitive
- How life has changed for Fort Myers 2007 lotto winner
- Venturi, US Open champion and CBS analyst, dies
- ABATE Bears for Bears drive under way
- Local bar named Best beach bar in America
- FMPD forced to pay back overtime
- Record tourist season adds 1,700 hospitality jobs in Collier