|Published:||Jan 22, 2013 6:09 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 22, 2013 6:09 PM EST|
VERO BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a central Florida deputy shot and wounded a man who had assaulted two women.
The Indian River County Sheriff's Office reports that 26-year-old Christopher Berk assaulted the women at his home and this drove away Monday night. Scripps Treasure Coast Newspapers (http://bit.ly/VoFxC0 ) reports that a responding deputy was at the home and interviewing the women when Berk returned.
Authorities say Berk was carrying a shotgun and a backpack filled with ammunition. When the deputy ordered Berk to drop the weapon, officials say the man refused and hid behind a vehicle. Berk pointed his gun at the deputy and the women, and the deputy fired six shots, hitting Berk three times.
Berk was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment.
Information from: The Stuart (Fla.) News, http://www.tcpalm.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Human remains found on Shell Point Blvd.
- LCSO investigates a death at Edison State College
- Cape woman suffers serious burns after morning kitchen fire
- Dr. Burke gives last speech before retirement
- Ohio cop, wife face child neglect charge in Fla.
- Lee Dept. of Health offers free pool testing kit
- Fla. woman meets son she gave up for adoption
- Third-grade FCAT math and reading scores static
- Personal finance expert Suze Orman speaks at UF
- Fla. Gov. asked to return money to insurer