|Published:||Jan 22, 2013 12:18 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 22, 2013 12:19 PM EST|
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - A Tallahassee man is being charged with child neglect after a 7-year-old boy accidentally shot a 5-year-old.
Tallahassee police said that the boys were playing with a Glock 9mm handgun on Saturday when the gun went off. The bullet went through the 5-year-old's stomach area and out his back. He had surgery on his colon and lower intestines.
The 5-year-old told police that the gun belonged to his brother, 22-year-old Cedric Wallace. The 7-year-old told police he saw the younger boy take the gun from Wallace's bedroom.
A police report states that there was no evidence that the gun was locked up.
Wallace was charged with a second-degree felony which could bring up to 15 years in prison. He was released from jail Sunday after posting a bond.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Vehicle catches fire on Oil Well Rd.
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- CCSO investigates possible link in Waffle House robberies
- Lee's family talks about new 911 dispatcher training
- Driver in crash that killed Cypress Lake grad was drunk
- Estero firefighters rescue impaled seagull
- FWC releases rehabilitated panther in Hendry County
- Cincy firefighters are heating things up on FMB
- Mom blames husband after driving kids into ocean