|Published:||Jan 22, 2013 12:00 AM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 22, 2013 7:00 PM EST|
COLLIER COUNTY, Fla. - A 3-year-old child from Immokalee has died after being critically injured in a crash on Alligator Alley Monday morning.
The Florida Highway Patrol says Rylee Douglas died late Monday night. Her sister, 4-year-old Madison, is in critical condition at a hospital. Their mother, Cecilia Douglas, 33, was also killed in the crash.
Troopers told Wink News, Cecilia Renee Douglas swerved off the road and into a canal, after rear-ending a box truck. Douglas' two small children were also inside the vehicle when it crashed into the canal. FHP says all three were wearing their seat belts, and alcohol is not considered a factor in the crash.
The driver of the box truck, 41-year-old Dargel Diaz Tamayo of Opa Locka, sustained minor injuries. One passenger in the truck was seriously injured, while the other sustained only minor injuries.
To make a donation to help the Douglas family, a memorial fund has been set up at Suntrust Bank:
Douglas Family Memorial Fund
Account number: 157840900
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- Teacher accused of having relationship with student
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- CCSO: Man threatens to shoot deputy during domestic dispute
- No plans to remove wreckage from fatal boat crash
- S Fla biologist recovering after rattlesnake bite
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- Historic central Fla. house moved on barge
- Fla. man guilty in taxi, food delivery robberies