|Published:||Jan 16, 2013 5:00 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 16, 2013 6:22 PM EST|
LEE COUNTY, Fla. - Confusion and safety are the driving forces behind Cape Coral's push to move a traffic light from one busy intersection to another.
We're talking about literally taking the light from Stockton Street at Merchant's Crossing, and North Cleveland Avenue and moving it to where US 41 and Diplomat Parkway meet. It's a main artery to the new VA clinic.
Some drivers tell us they don't mind this intersection the way it is. But Cape Coral's mayor says the VA clinic is a big draw for veterans and future businesses. "Restaurants, motels, hotels and so forth, that's all going to add on to the city," said Mayor John Sullivan.
That's why the city is working with the Florida Department of Transportation, looking at safety and visibility of the area.
FDOT tells WINK News a study last year concluded this intersection did not need a light. But another study will take place next month now that the VA clinic is open for business.
The results of that study will be given to the city over the summer and a decision will be made. "We'll keep working with FDOT and see the opportunity there to have a better intersection, better connection," said Persides Zambrano with the city.
Ben and Debra Sheppard often drive through this intersection and wouldn't mind moving the traffic light. "Sears is closed now, used to be when Sears was open there used to be a lot of traffic but its not so bad," said Ben Sheppard.
For now, drivers will have to keep their eyes peeled for a sign that says "VA Clinic" pointing them down Diplomat Parkway.
- FMPD arrests robbery suspect linked to 5 robberies
- Thousands of bees attack woman in the Cape
- Crash on Westgate Blvd. injures 3
- Store owner's surveillance cameras catch alleged thieves
- Collier home destroyed by fire
- Tropical Depression Two forms near Belize
- Victims say man exposed himself in Naples beach parking lot
- Real estate search begins for Hertz executives
- New Lee superintendent to make $169,000 her first year
- Zombies to unite at Bell Tower for a good cause