|Published:||Jan 15, 2013 5:22 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 15, 2013 5:59 PM EST|
CAPE CORAL, Fla. - A Cape Coral senior center, home to gatherings and special activities will be closed at least a week after a massive leak soaked the entire building.
Inside, the fans are on full blast. Outside, yellow tape blocks the entrance to Lake Kennedy Center on Santa Barbara Boulevard.
"I walked in the front door and found water pretty much everywhere! And it wasn't a little bit of water, it was a lot of water." Program supervisor Kathryn Sayers says her staff came to work on Monday and found the unbelievable sight. The water she says, gushed over her shoes, and covered the entire building floor.
"You know, water seems to find its own path. And it just seemed to go everywhere!" she said.
It came, she says, from a broken sink valve in the men's bathroom. She believes the large leak happened on Sunday. Now the building, which is located next to Sunsplash Water Park is in the process of drying out. At the same time, Sayers is trying to notify those who come here. "People that do come to the center: come and look. And there's a look of shock," she explained.
The Special Populations Center, which is right next door, will be helping out by lending space for some of the Lake Kennedy Center programs.
At this point, it's too early to estimate the cost of the water damage. "We're going to move on, we're going to be tough, and tough it out. It's going to be good. Stuff can be fixed, things can be fixed," said Sayers.
At this point they don't know when they'll be able to re-open the senior center. It could take at least two weeks.
- Woman's throat slit by daughter's boyfriend, 15
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Woman allegedly steals iPhone 5S from Verizon Store
- Vehicle catches fire on Oil Well Rd.
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- Dump truck and car crash on SW 20th Ave.
- CCSO investigates possible link in Waffle House robberies
- Driver in crash that killed Cypress Lake grad was drunk
- FMPD arrests 2, seizes drugs, cash and handgun during search
- Driver suffers serious injuries after causing 3-car crash