|Published:||Jan 15, 2013 11:26 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 16, 2013 12:27 AM EST|
GOLDEN GATE ESTATES, Fla - The search is still on in Collier County for a missing grizzly bear cub named Boo Boo. The cub disappeared from his Golden Gate Estates home around 11 a.m. Tuesday.
Around 7:30 p.m. the cub had still not returned home. At this point FWC officers brought out Boo Boo's brother Yogi in hopes he would lure the cub back home.
Dexter Osborn has been working with bears for the past ten years. With a permit, he keeps three grizzlies behind his home in Golden Gate Estates. He has one large adult bear named Tom and two cubs, Yogi and Boo Boo. The trio are kept in cages, but Tuesday, Boo Boo escaped.
"I got off the bus stop and was walking with my sister and the a deputy came up to us and asked if we'd hear a bear was on the loose. He said it got out of his cage," says neighbor Raymond Cruz.
The Collier County Sheriff's Office, FWC officers and residents helped search by land and air. "I walked outside to get the mail and the helicopter was flying around in circles," says Cruz.
Two year old Boo Boo is a 125 pound cub. Osborn tells WINK News he uses the bears for educational purposes, lecturing residents about how to stay safe in bear country.
FWC says Boo Boo has never been in the wild before and won't know how to hunt for food. The hope is that he will use his sense of smell and eventually find his way home.
FWC would not reveal how Boo Boo escaped from his cage. They will have an officer out on the scene all night in case there are sightings. If you see the cub, you are asked to call FWC's Wildlife Alert Hotline at 888-404-FWCC (3922).
- Teacher accused of having relationship with student
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- North Fort Myers mobile home fire ruled suspicious
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- Collier Co. begins looking for land to build soccer complex
- Golisano Children's Hospital holds ceremonial groundbreaking
- Historic central Fla. house moved on barge
- Fla. man guilty in taxi, food delivery robberies
- No plans to remove wreckage from fatal boat crash
- S Fla biologist recovering after rattlesnake bite